Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Trainers vs. Owners

Had an interesting talk with my friend and old barn manager yesterday. The more I thought about it, the more I had to write about it. But with this blog I definitely would love some thoughts and comments from you.



We were talking about an old client, she is now at an open trainer boarding barn. The statement that came up was that the little girl was jumping, but not in a lesson, and my friends comment was that should never happen and no trainer should ever allow a student to jump on their own. And their current trained yelled at them about it, so they are looking again. Now I have heard both sides of the story, and I see both sides of the story. (This is one of my traits, have not figured out if good or bad that I tend to understand both sides.. but more on that in a different blog.)



This does raise a good question. How much control should we as trainers dictate? Now I know because of our sue crazy world we live in, there are so many more precautions now than when I grew up riding. And I am not saying these precautions are bad. Today, it is just the question of what trainers can manage and not manage, ie. how much control should they have, if they are a visiting trainer.



Now Mom's comment I thought was very legitimate. 'It is my pony, my daughter, I am paying the bills and if she wants to jump, she will jump.' Now she made sure that she was there, and her daughter knows that she can not do this without the trainer or parent in the ring with her. My friend thinks NO ONE should jump not in a lesson... On one point I agree, but on the other point I also agree with the MOM.



I feel it is our jobs as trainers to communicate with client, being child and parent or adult rider, as to what their level is as to what their "homework" should be in between lessons. If we know they are talking about doing things we do not agree with, we share our opinion and be up front with the risks that may occur. But after that it is still their horse and they are paying the bills. I for one had a client that was my senior and been riding as long as I have. Did I tell her I would rather her not jump with out me due to some issues they were having, of course I did. Could I stop her? Of course not.

And on one other note with this, as I sit back and observe, I do not want to create dependent riders. I see so many at horse shows that can not make a decision on the back of their horse without the trainer barking directions at them. To me that is not creating riders, that is in a sick way guaranteeing your income source. These trainer have their riders so brain washed that they believe they can not do it without them. That is not riding!

It is my goal with my riders to help them become thinking/feeling riders. I want them to tell me how they can make the next jump better, not me tell them how to make the jump better. How do you become thinking and feeling? You practice! Can you practice with one lesson a week???

So I guess my stance is be open and honest. Look at their level and develop a plan with that. Cross rail and 2' kids should practice as much over ground pole as they want. More advanced hopefully you decide together. But to mandate not with out you and to make them dependent on you....not sure that is good practice...

What are your thoughts?


3 comments:

  1. I think it is a fine line that I haven't put a lot of thought into, but I agree with you, young riders should be somewhat independent. I think a happy medium could be found if after the lesson the trainer, rider, and parent discussed everything. After a few (2 or 3) jumping lessons a rider should be able to do some basic small jumps without the trainer around, or the trainer isn't doing their job. There are other things too - ground pole and cavalette work are important for jumping and could be assigned as homework as well. I think a happy medium could be reached. Great blog!

    Ali
    Host & Owner of Filly Tracks
    www.fillytracks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. The decissions get tougher when the client is not boarding with you. If the client out right does not follow directions and continues to do things that you feel are unsafe, then you may need to consider ending that relationship. But case by case, client by client...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all depends on why you don't want them jumping in your absence. If it is because you do not want them developing bad habits, and they are at the stage where that is likely, then ask them to wait until they get better before doing so.

    If it is a safety thing, then it really does not matter who is watching them. Unless the trainer is a trained paramedic or EMT, they provide no higher cushion of safety than a parent or anyone else close enough to care for a fallen rider. If the rider falls, then the rider falls, and there is nothing the trainer can do until after the fact no matter how closely she is watching.

    ReplyDelete